The Junior Aquathlon - athletes aged 10 years old to 15 years old will be in the first wave.
The race will start at 08:30 as a single wave before the start of the senior race.
The following distances will have to be completed by the different age groups
Sprint Distance Triathlon
The race begins with 30 lengths of Portlaoise Leisure Centre Pool. The pool which has been completely rebuilt in 2007 features five lanes. Each lane will have 5-6 entrants. Lane counters will record the number of lengths completed and when 750m are complete, competitors will exit the centre and collect their bike from the transition area, located in the Astro-Turf pitch behind the pool.
Cycle Route Description
Competitors will exit the transition area and mount their bike after crossing the timing mat. Competitors will be required to fasten their helmets before touching their bikes. The mount line will be located outside the Portlaoise Leisure Centre Grounds.
The following describes the route of the cycle:
1. Leaving the Leisure Centre through Dr. Murphys and head for the Borris Road.
2. Continue on the Borris Road and go straight through the 2 roundabouts towards Ratheven.
3 Just after the road swings left at Ratheven turn right opposite Noel Whelans Cars and head out Towards Shaen. (This is the first right turn on the course)
4. Head on until you come to the high wall straight ahead of you and turn left (if you turned right you would go to Shaen Hospital).
5 Keep on this road all the way until you come out on the main Emo to Mountmellick Road
6. Turn left in the direction of The Rock
7. Just before the Emo Garage turn Left and travel on this road for just over a km
8. Take the 2nd right here which brings you straight back to the Old Mountmellick to Portlaoise Road. (This is the second right turn)
9. Take a left onto The Portlaoise Road which comes to Larkins Cross within about a Kilometre.
10 After this it would be straight back into Portlaoise on the Ridge Road.
The dismount Line would be on the Ridge Road where the hole is in the wall going into the running track at the Leisure Centre.
The run will be 5.4 km. Runners will exit transition area. They will run on the leisure centre track to the exit point on the Ridge Road, from here the will run in the direction of the church. At Millview the will turn left in St. John’s terrace. They will exit St. John’s Terrace and cross the Borris Road. Form here staying on the footpath they will run out the Dublin Road until they reach Colliers Lane. When they reach Colliers Lane they will turn left and immediately cross this road at the Pedestrian crossing. They will run to the bottom of Colliers Lane on the footpath. At rhe end of Colliers Lane they will cross the road again and run in towards the Leisure Centre on the footpath on the Borris Road. When they reach the turn at Dr. Murphys they will cross the Borris Road and run towards the leisure centre. They runners will finish on the grass section between the Leisure Centre Car Park and the Leisure Centre itself. The run route ensures the separation of runners from cyclists, and starting runners from finishing runners.